1. In large bowl combine all filling ingredients and mix well, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. In large bowl combine flour, oil, salt and water for dough. Mix well and knead until thoroughly combined. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes
3. Knead dough again and prepare 1" dough balls. On a floured work surface flatten a ball with your palm and with a rolling pin roll to flatten, keeping the center of the wrapper slightly thicker than the edges. Roll until about 3" in diameter. Repeat with remaining dough balls
4. To pack the dough hold a wrapper on one palm, add a tablespoon of filling and bring together all edges to the center. Pinch and twist to ensure closure.
5. In a steamer or instant pot, oil the rack well to prevent sticking and place dumplings inside, close and steam for about 10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately. I served mine with a green chili chutney
1. In an instant pot or pressure cooker mix lentils with 4 cups of water and add turmeric, salt and tomato and cook until done.
2. In a large pan heat ghee, once heated add onion, green chili, ginger, and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes. Add in asafetida and cumin until it starts to make a crackling sound. Add this to the lentil mixture and combine
3. Prepare rice as described on packaging
4. On a plate add a small bowl of dal, your rice (bhat), I also included green chili chutney, pickled vegetables, and curd